Stocks, Bonds and Mutual Fund Shares
Gifts of securities (individual stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares) can benefit both you and Beverly Hospital or Addison Gilbert Hospital. A gift of securities can lower your income taxes and avoid capital gains taxation, thus increasing the efficiency of your gift. When you donate long-term appreciated securities to Beverly Hospital (EIN# 04-2121317) or Addison Gilbert Hospital (EIN# 46-4371382), you can:
- Avoid capital gains taxes.
- Claim the full value of the gift as a charitable deduction.
- Make a larger gift than if you first sold the securities and then gave the net proceeds.
- Support superb health care for your family, friends and community.
- Depreciated securities are those whose value today is actually lower than the original purchase price.
- Sell the stock and give the cash proceeds to Beverly Hospital or Addison Gilbert Hospital.
- Enjoy two deductions, one for the capital loss and the other for the charitable gift.
- Note: Your depreciated stock should not be given directly to Beverly Hospital or Addison Gilbert Hospital, as you will not be able to take a deduction for the capital loss.
For assistance in making an outright gift of securities (individual stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares) for immediate use, please contact Philanthropy at 978.236.1600.
For further information about making a gift of securities to fund a deferred gift instrument, such as a charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder annuity trust or unitrust, or a pooled income fund, please visit our Gift Planning web pages.